CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Devon does Harlequin

So I've decided to dip my toe in the category waters. I never think to read any of these, but I do believe that they are actually quite popular. Anyhow, continuing to attempt to expand my horizons, I popped on over to the Harlequin website, and browsed around a bit. I've looked around a bit before, checking out the different lines, comparing the difrferent styles. One thing that's appealing: the pricing. I was able to get 5 books for 18 dollars, including shipping. This is what I ordered:



Midnight Madness by Karen Kendall--sounded intriguing, though a heroine described as bohemian is often a recipe for disaster. I'm a sucker for straightlaced guy/wild girl stories, though often they suck.



The Sex Quotient by Jamie Sobrato--So this book has a dumb title, cover and description, but I bought it because the author has a funny blog. Oh, well, I've bought books for worse reasons.



His Royal Love-Child by Lucy Monroe--Come now, I couldn't take a trip to Harlequin and not buy an HP. This is one of Harlequin's most popular (if not the most popular) lines. I'm just trying to understand the fascination, people! Why this one? I read somewhere (no idea where, Sybil maybe?), that Lucy Monroe writes better than average ones. And the "hero" is Italian. Y' know, supposedly one of my great-grandfathers was the illegitimate son of the local Italian aristocrat and that's how he ended up in America. They wanted him out of town.



From the First by Jessica Bird--This is J.R. Ward's alter-ego, and it's not like I'm a freaky fangirl of hers or anything. I'm curious to read something of hers in a different genre.



Bulletproof Princess by Vicki Hinze--I like the description of this line. This series of books sounded like something I would've loved as a teenager. And it was three bucks.

So that's that. I'm excited to get them. I dunno, I was looking around and around and so many of the lines don't really appeal to me. They sound so...old-fashioned... all secretaries knocked up by their bosses and rugged ranchers. Not that I don't love cowboys and ranchers. Honestly, to a girl from Long Island they're more exotic than an Italian prince. I've known guys who thought they were Italian princes, but no Cowboys. I used to devour my mom's books about cowboys, by, like, Diana Palmer, and stuff. Someday, I'm going to have a feature where I highlight old categories that I stole from my mom and read and loved.

3 comments:

sybil said...

Is his royal love child the first or second in the series? I recently read the first two, my first HP :). I liked the first one was eh on the second one.

Haven't read that bird yet, but really liked the first two.

Love Jo Leigh and Alison Kent's blazes.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Angela James said...

It's the second, Sybil. Why do I know that, you ask? Because I read a review of it recently, NO CLUE where, and they mentioned it. Yes, odd details stick in my head.

And don't get me started on Harlequin Presents. I'm on a self-imposed ban from them, because they're like crack, kind of addicting for some mysterious reason, but really bad for me in that I don't think they're good books and I can't say nice things about them, lolol.

I do have to say, I like that HQ makes their books available at discounted prices, offers free shipping if you spend $25, and often has special sales and discounts, as well as free books. They do have a nice shopping site. And you can get a load of books for a small amount of money.

Bev (BB) said...

This may or may not sound weird, but I've seriously been considering signing up for one of the category lines just to get a regular supply of them because I'm not buying them through the stores and frankly I miss them. Only thing is, I have no idea which line to choose. I even thought about posting the question on my blog for suggestions but I'm not even sure what I'm actually looking for so I'm stuck figuring that out first.

I used to like the Harlequin Intrigue line a lot, though. That and the Silhouette Intimate Moments.